Friday, February 29, 2008

When Angels Cry (Fiction)

You wouldn’t think angels could cry. Strangely enough that’s what they do most of the time, when they aren’t lecturing of course. At least that’s my experience. They don’t look quite like you’d think either. I mean they do when they first appear; the golden presence, the shining light, the choir in the background. Then they see the circle and it all goes down hill. You should hear the things angels have to say about that. I’ve dealt with my share of sailors but wow angels have a grasp of profanity that I would not have imagined. But back to the looks, they are beings of light you see, so they tend to shape themselves into what you want to see, illusions as it were. Light bends and refracts easily, so they appear pleasing but when angry they tend to look like an angry psychedelic swarm of bees screaming like banshees. My neighbors complained and dogs barked for days until I installed the sound proofing. Sound proofing is crucial.

Why, do you ask would I want an angel? For many reasons really, there is much we don’t understand about the celestial realms. Also there are many gods who surround themselves with Angels. Angels have first hand testimonials of what the Gods actually said instead of some human translation. Also Angels are great for smiting your enemies, they are single minded, follow orders well, and have no remorse. They can also be used for sending messages and such, but I always thought that was a waste really.

My only problem was how to break an angel. Being remorseless killers, they had no conscience or empathy. What they do have though is rules, dictates, Law. Thou shalt have no god before me, thou shalt not lie, thou shalt not… Angels don’t forget and they will keep following orders until told to stop or they are destroyed I suppose, however I’m not quite sure if that is possible.

Have you ever heard an angel Sing? It is a glorious thing to witness, but not half so glorious as it is to hear them beg. How heart wrenching, how warm, how musical, how their promises tickle your soul as they beg you to let them kill the child. Oh yes, they beg, “Let me kill it, please please, He commands it, I need to, I need it…”

Funny how the same reason we decided to bind them was the same very thing that would drive them to madness.

Paniwi Metit
Second Son of Egypt
Father of Shamise who lives

No comments: